Saturday 18 February 2012

The Legend Returns and other Photoshop disasters

So I haven't done a blog in 18 months so I may be a bit rusty at it.

As many of you may know, I suffer with terrible migraines. As a consequence of this I have a lot of downtime and as a result I get bored easily. To try and aliviate the boredom I decided to learn a new skill. I wanted something that I would find hard so at first I attempted to learn the guitar but this ended in disaster as I found that due to my Cerebral Palsy I have no coordination and couldn't play a note.

I wasn't going to let my disability going to get in the way of me doing something so I decided to try and learn photoshop instead. I knew this would be difficult due to my poor eyesight but I needed a decent challenge so I thought that this would present me with the challenge I needed.

As I am useless at drawing I decided that for my first attempts to do anything with the software should be to alter some pictures of friends and see if I could do anything with them. My first 'victims' were my friends James and Charlie who I attempted to make look like Davros. As you can see in the pictures below things didn't work out that well.



At the time I couldn't work out what the problem is, but now I realise that the heads aren't the correct proportions for the body and that Charlie is too cheerful to be Davros.

I realise that there are many other mistakes in the pictures but in these first attempts I was just trying to learn the basic techniques for working with the software.

After this I decided that my next 'victim' would be Bill Elder. Bill used to me a morning DJ in America so the natural thing to do was to get a picture of Ed Sullivan meeting The Beatles and replace Ed's head with Bill's. The result isn't perfect as you can see.




I think I got the proportions right this time, but I didn't get the head in the right place :)

Soon after I did this I had a few days break and then got another cluster of migraines soon after John Green published his book 'The Fault in our Stars'. I decided to have a bit of fun with this and alter it a few times. First of all I decided to make fun of David Cameron, who isn't a friend, and then see what I could do with Charlie McDonnell and Alex Day. As you can see from the results I think I am getting better but I am still not quite there.




Soon after seeing these more of my friends wanted to be 'victims' so I decided next to pick on my friend Ellie who is a massive Bruce Springsteen fan. She loves playing the guitar so there was only one thing I could do. I tried my best to make it look as though she was on stage with him.




While I think it turned out ok, I think the main problem with this one is that I didn't match the colour correctly. This happened again with a few other attempts that I will talk about later. I think this second attempts at embarrassing her was more successful though.




Then I decided to have a go at my friend Dome. Once again I don't think I got the proportions right.




I have a 'fanclub' on Facebook and one of the co-creators of this group, Oskar, indicated that he wanted to be a 'victim'. My intentions on this one was to show him what might happen if you got caught getting on a plane without buying a ticket, but once again I think I got the proportions wrong.



I also decided to put some friends in situations with their favourite stars. Here is one of my friend Amy not noticing that she is standing in front of The Doctor.


Once again I didn't math the colour correctly and there are probably other mistakes there too. Sadly for Amy I didn't stop with this picture. This picture once again features Charlie McDonnell. In this attempt I tried to use the clone tool to clone Charlie's face onto Amy. For some reason she seemed to like it :)


Thankfully for Amy, this is last one (so far) where I have tried to embarrass her. In this one she is pictured with Tom Milsom and in this one I cloned Amy's face onto Tom and I tried to make it look like Amy had Tom's hair. I failed :(


Next my friend Allison wanted to see if I could have a go at her and as she is a big Tom Millsom fan and has never met him, there was only one thing I could do.



Once again I don't think I got the proportions correctly but overall I think I did quite well.

Next we come to the picture that I failed on the most. Allison's sister Emily is a big fan of Charlie so wanted a similar picture. Sadly there weren't many pictures of her to choose from and I think this contributed to my biggest fail so far.



Once again I don't thing I got the proportions and the colour correction right, but I think for the choice of images I had I did quite well.

Soon after this my friend Denise made a video saying that she wanted her head on Alex Day's body so I decided to have a go. Once again I think I am failing with the colour matching.



After this I decided to have a break for a bit, there is only so much fail you can cope with at once, then I came back with what I think is my best one so far.

My friend Charlie Pidcock has an EP out so I decided to have a go and create an old style flyer. Although its not perfect I think this came out quite well.



So I hope you have enjoyed my attempt to talk about my recent photoshop disasters dispite not having blogged for 18 months. I hope my lack of blogging experience isn't as bad as my photoshop skills and hasn't bored you all to death. 

If anyone has any comments about where I went wrong with my ateepts to use photoshop, or maybe comments that I did something right somewhere along the line, I would be interested in hearing them especially if you can point me in the right direction to correct my mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment